Is Chipotle being extra, or are you?
I get it. We live in California. It’s a custom always to need the side of guacamole. The downside? It costs extra!
We could blame the government for high avocado prices. We could blame avocados for making everything so darn good. We could even blame Jason Mraz for being a stingy avocado dealer to Chipotle. But what’s to blame is California’s perfect weather. The Golden State is a victim of its own beauty. The great weather means no rain, and no rain means it’s harder for the avocados to be grown – because of how much water they require. Hence the price increases.
Cue Jason Mraz’s “I Won’t Give Up” while we wait for our avocados to be ready.
Check out the SoCal FOMO Video of how we did it!
National Guacamole Day
Just like in the video of the little boy who was happy to receive an avocado for Christmas, we all love them. Add some chips, and you got yourself a party, am I right? So even though the Chipotle website took it down, we wanted to bring you the Chipotle guacamole recipe for National Guacamole Day! So add it to some chips, a cheeseburger, or nachos: your house, your rules. Enjoy!
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeño, including seeds (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Pretend you know what avocados are good ones. They have to be soft, but still firm. Then double check with your mom to be sure.
- Once you have it at home and turn on some Jason Mraz to get into the zone, cut each avocado in half.
- Learn how to carefully stab the pits with the long side of your knife. Then turn the blade to look cool and remove the pits.
- Use a spoon to put the avocados into a bowl to mix.
- Squirt in the listed amount of lime juice – my mom says that helps it stay green and from not turning brown.
- Add the listed amount of salt.
- Mash and mix with a fork until you’re happy with the texture.
- Toss in the rest of the ingredients like the jalapenos, red onion, and cilantro then mix until ready.
Taste your creation and laugh in the name of Chipotle because now you have your own supply!